Skip to:

What Should The Results Of New Teacher Evaluations Look Like?

Comments

"Nobody said this would be easy." That is simply not true. Hanushek promised us it would be. So did Michelle Rhee. The ability to tell the difference between an "effective" and "ineffective" teacher was sold as a certainty lighting the pathway toward higher achievement for all students despite their backgrounds. I appreciate your measured approach to this endeavor, but please don't make excuses for those who have misrepresented this enterprise as a sure formula for success -- because indeed they have.

Do we really believe that 50% of teachers are below average and bad? Is the number or percent of excellent teachers equal to the number of "ineffective" teachers? As a past classroom teacher with over twenty years of experience,in five different schools, this was not my observation. I would say that at least 75% of the teachers with whom I worked were effective or above. If they weren't they usually self selected out of the profession early on or were non-renewed before they attained career status in my state. The other 25% are those who need assistance and some got better and some ended up out of the profession. Some were previously effective teachers who had something happen in their life such as a personal or family illness, family tragedy, or something else that affected their ability to cope with the stress of the classroom. I think it is very wrong to assign teacher evaluations into any type of preconceived percentages. Even though maybe I just did?

DISCLAIMER

This web site and the information contained herein are provided as a service to those who are interested in the work of the Albert Shanker Institute (ASI). ASI makes no warranties, either express or implied, concerning the information contained on or linked from shankerblog.org. The visitor uses the information provided herein at his/her own risk. ASI, its officers, board members, agents, and employees specifically disclaim any and all liability from damages which may result from the utilization of the information provided herein. The content in the Shanker Blog may not necessarily reflect the views or official policy positions of ASI or any related entity or organization.